“Overcoming Obstacles to Create Community” is an initiative of the Women’s Voices’ Racial Justice Committee. Each month, we’ll provide timely, concrete ideas and suggestions you can include in your daily lives.
May – Speak Up!
- Write letters to the editor and commentary for local media…St. Louis Post Dispatch, Riverfront Times, West End Word, the St. Louis American, or the Webster-Kirkwood Times. Visit womensvoicedsraised.org and search for Guidelines for Writing Letters to the Editor. Need more help? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fight intolerance, but spread tolerance through your social media, especially Facebook and Twitter.
- Speak with your feet. Join a rally or a protest.
- Do not attend or speak at a hate rally. When possible, hold a unity rally at the same time as the hate rally to draw media attention away from the hate.
- Talk to people…friends, neighbors, co-workers, and especially your children. Let them know that hate is not acceptable. Call out incidents of racism, white supremacy, and intolerance.
- Put a Black Lives Matter sign in your yard. You can purchase one at Left Bank Books.