“Overcoming Obstacles to Create Community” is an initiative of the Women’s Voices’ Racial Justice Committee. Each month, we’ll provide timely, concrete ideas and suggestions you can include in your daily lives.
October – Stay Engaged
- Reach out to people outside your own groups.
- Honor history and mark anniversaries. Black History Month begins on Thursday, February 1, 2019.
- Break bread with others outside your circle of friends. Share a meal with people of different racial and cultural backgrounds.
- Begin a community conversation on race. Discussion groups, book clubs, chat rooms, and library gatherings can bring people together. Attend a Women’s Voices Racial Justice Book Club meeting or read one of the suggested books.
- Join or start a Bridges group. Racially diverse Bridge groups consist of 8 to 15 individuals who meet four to six times a year in a variety of settings chosen by group members. Conversations center on racial or cultural issues and current events. For more information, call 314-622-1250 or visit the FOCUS St. Louis website.