“Overcoming Obstacles to Create Community” is an initiative of the Women’s Voices’ Racial Justice Committee. Each month, we’ll provide timely, concrete ideas and suggestions you can include in your daily lives.
April – Build Relationships and Coalitions
- Reach out to allies from churches, schools, clubs, civic groups, police, and the media. Gather ideas and get everyone involved.
- Attend a meeting of a group you want to learn more about. Visit a black church. For locations, Google “Where is the nearest black church?”
- Participate in a Black Lives Matter vigil or other event.
- Enroll in a Witnessing Whiteness study group.
- Join the St. Louis Coalition for Human Rights.
- Visit the Organization for Black Struggle website.
- Find out about Indivisible St. Louis, a progressive grass roots network.
- Visit the West County Action Network (WE CAN). Among their activities you will find a Black Lives Matter Vigil schedule taking place every Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. at different locations.
- Attend Facing Segregation: Building Strategies in Every Neighborhood, Fair Housing conference
April 12, 2019 8:15 AM – 3:30 PM at Central Baptist Church (2842 Washington Ave., 63103)